Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2025
    Forums Page 

 
Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 
 All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 power chip?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

crewzincool
P Plater


animal-penguin

19 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  7:36:36 PM  Show Profile Send crewzincool a Private Message
 
Hi.. i was wondering if any of you vn drivers had these chips installed, or could comment on them...your thoughts would be much appreciated thanks!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PERFORMANCE-CHIP-MEMCAL-Holden-V6-VN-VP-147-kws_W0QQitemZ110026710867QQihZ001QQcategoryZ102357QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Report to Moderator

trizo
Forum Moderator


desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  8:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message
 
mate there is a thread on here called hsv mod chip chek it out!!
 

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Brum
P Plater


symbols-anarchy

65 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  9:57:37 PM  Show Profile Send Brum a Private Message
 
Hey mate,

I have owned my commodore VN since new, and it has 140,000 original klms on it, regularly serviced, and driven by my parents till i bought it off them, so never thrashed...

And when i bought the same chip, it did SFA... And used ****load more fuel too, and considerin it requires premium...

Made no difference on my car... But each is different they say...
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:00:16 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
For starters I have a few issues with a few of the statements made:

At the bottom (in the FAQ), it states that it isn't a mod chip. Actually, that's exactly what it is. It is a modified memcal chip. Their reference to the resistor 'trick' says to me that they are trying to tread on other sellers.

They claim that it will produce their figures with a high-flow exhaust system and a CAI. I'd be expecting the majority of the gains to come from those two alone, even with a standard chip it's quite easy to see 140kw with a damn good exhaust system and CAI.

It will change the exhaust gas emissions, it can't NOT. To get more power, it has to alter the composition of the contents of the cylinder, in doing so it will alter the waste products. I'm not saying that it will be worse, I'm just saying that it will change them.

After all of that you still need to fit it yourself.

While there doesn't seem to be anything dodgy about the seller themselves, I'm a bit sceptical about some of the comments made in the ad. Personally I'd steer well clear of it, and if you want to get a mod chip for your car, either get it done professionally, or get the gear and make it yourself (it would be cheaper to make it yourself, that's for sure).

Then again I'm naturally sceptical of stuff that pops up like that, most of them just run advanced ignition and bump up the fuel delivery a little bit. As well as running a slightly more agressive spark table. It might be a really good deal, it might be a complete joke, without playing around with one I couldn't say for sure. There's enough warning bells going off to make me stay away from it.
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

crewzincool
P Plater


animal-penguin

19 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:05:01 PM  Show Profile Send crewzincool a Private Message
 
thanks guys...and after what you said Brum....i don't think i'll get one..
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:15:38 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
YAY...A victory for common sense!

If you haven't already got one, spend the money on a CAI from Holden ($50) and get a good quality panel filter (K&N or unifilter). All said and done, they might not get you to 147kw, but it'll be much nicer on your car.

The CAI is the VS V6 supercharged CAI, you can fit it yourself without too many problems, only trick is you may need to heat the edges slightly to get your bonnet to close, and you WILL have to chop part of the bottom of your air box to get it to line up properly, but it's all fairly easy.
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Brum
P Plater


symbols-anarchy

65 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:18:27 PM  Show Profile Send Brum a Private Message
 
Yeah, it didnt work for me, and it is a replacement memcal just to confirm that.

Hey mouse, is a redback, 2.5" Mandrel bent exhaust system something you would qualify as pretty good? Or is there better?

Cheers
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

crewzincool
P Plater


animal-penguin

19 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:24:45 PM  Show Profile Send crewzincool a Private Message
 
Thanks mouce your right...i wont be taking the risk..i'm not going to even ask how to make one..i'm sure there would be a lot in it
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:32:52 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
@Brum: if it's a full length system, then yeah...it'd be quite nice to have. If it's just going to be cat back then about the only thing you're really going to notice is a change in sound. The stock exhaust headers on the VN aren't bad, so you can leave them on if you really are a bit strapped for cash, but a new y-pipe is a must (ever looked at how much the damn thing is crimped?). To get the most out of it, pacemaker extractors (but you pay for those, and they suck to fit) and a full length 2.5" system (redback would be okay) with mandrel bends would be a really nice thing to do for your car. A high-flow catalytic converter would also help things along, but the stock one isn't atrocious. Just make sure that you tell your insurance company if you do change the exhaust, they list aftermarket exhausts as performance modifications, and if you don't tell them, they won't pay on any claims.

@crewzincool: Believe it or not, it's not that tough to throw together a basic mod chip for your car. To get it working really well takes a bit of fiddling around, but the basics aren't that tough to get right. I'm going to put together a bit of a how-to for it sometime soon. It's gonig to be big, so it'll take a while, but it's on it's way. If you can do a little maths, know how the engine systems work together and you're comfortable using a computer to do more than check the forum, it's not impossible. Most people are scared off by it, but it's not as nasty as you might think.
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

trizo
Forum Moderator


desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message
 
@mouce I know this has been said b4 but we need anther how to this is 1 I realy want 2 know as I'm not bad with comps!!
Not just that but there seems to b a sudden influx in post on memcal chips!!!!!:)
 

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  10:59:51 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
Today didn't go as planned, the how-to is only about a quarter written, and I haven't got any links for it yet (there's a LOT of reading to be done), and there's a pesky person who wants a diagram for wiring up their thermo fan through a relay so it's on when the engine is ;). The thermo fan how-to will be up around lunch time tomorrow (if nothing goes wrong), and the memcal one will appear sometime in the near future (can't say exactly when).
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

trizo
Forum Moderator


desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  11:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message
 
hehehehehe your a good man mouce:P
 

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

thebabe3_2005
Starting in the driveway



3 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  7:50:32 PM  Show Profile Send thebabe3_2005 a Private Message
 
hey guys i brought my mem chip off ebay 4 $100 , but its a genie performance chip ,im sure i got a good buy the dude happenned to live 10 mins up the road and my neighbour fitted it at his workshop for free , i think it made a difference in power but in saying that i havnt had it on the dyno but i will oneday , when i get round to it .
 

ciao 4 now
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

trizo
Forum Moderator


desert-sheriffstar

3091 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  9:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit trizo's Homepage  Click to see trizo's MSN Messenger address Send trizo a Private Message
 
like we have discussed on this topic b4 u realy wont know wat chip u got until its on the dyno in saying that there is a few different pwr chips u got a cruiser chip then theres your standard chip wich is in most stok vn's and then u got your power chip ( u could b real inventive and make your own then hard wire all 3 2gether like mouce is plannig) but in saying that let us know wat the dyno figures r wen u get there, b interesting! have u had it on the dyno b4 wat were the figures?
 

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

yanna
P Plater


smurf03

43 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  6:28:47 PM  Show Profile Send yanna a Private Message
 
so waht does every one think of these chips that some bloke is selling on ebay claiming to give better economy and 147+kws there is a link to them on the top of this page.
 

Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

lolo
Fully Licenced


simp098

503 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  10:20:35 PM  Show Profile Send lolo a Private Message
 
the point is, you might get some gains and you might not.... but if youre going to do any more mods or any serious mods youre better off doing them first and then getting a memcal programmed or an aftermarket ecu since these memcals are programmed for the stock engine not a modified engine. word to ya mother lol
 

Marcus Rogulic R.I.P (1980-2007)
"The Good Die Young"
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  7:09:00 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
quote:
Originally posted by yanna

so waht does every one think of these chips that some bloke is selling on ebay claiming to give better economy and 147+kws there is a link to them on the top of this page.



Already answered, the 'chips' are a complete P.O.S. Stay away from it.

@Car Probs: If you can't get past 3000rpm, then there's something more screwed up than your memcal. Have a look at your exhaust, perhaps there's a blockage. If not, then check out the fuel filter, air filter, engine oil and...well...pretty much anything else. Unless you've got a modified memcal there's no WAY that it was locked at 3000rpm from the factory. There's something else at play.

You could move the memcal over from the VN to the VP and vice versa, but I think your problem lies elsewhere.
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

sneezy19752
Learner


simp033

9 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  11:40:09 PM  Show Profile Send sneezy19752 a Private Message
 
I fitted one of these memcals from Blackstar7000 about 4 months ago, and noticed a slight improvement in pickup at WOT from the midrange into the upper rev range. And I've noticed a slight improvement in fuel consumption when I drive the car sedately, compared to the same driving style around the same roads compared to before I put the memcal in. So to me it did make a slight difference, about as much as I expected for $140.

I don't have any dyno charts. Not that cashed up or that serious. The engine has done 280,000km. I had already put in the SS CAI and a K&N panel filter, as well as put in some 'worn engine treatment' and 'stop smoke' of a reputable brand into the engine oil. I also put in iridium spark plugs. All of these additions have made the engine rev far more freely and idle far more smoothly. I would say that the CAI and K&N filter made slightly more difference than the memcal did, but it's only a small difference and is judged solely by the kick in the pants effect. The iridium plugs seemed to help with low end pickup the most. The oil treatments gave slightly better compression (judging by take off) and made the engine much more quiet and reduced vibration.

But my experience with the memcal sold by blackstar has been positive. I seem to remember that he does say that there is not excessive timing advancement on this chip and that it's set up to give safe gains albeit mild. And that's one thing I looked for as there seem to be a lot of cowboys selling chips for a lot more, who talk all about power and nothing about safety for the engine. I also emailed blackstar a few times before buying, to work out what type of person I was dealing with. And I also read the reviews on ebay by the people who had bought the same or similar memcal from him.

I think it was worth it, but that's the effect in my car, with a 280,000km engine, which has been reasonably looked after, and it's my opinion based on the seat of my pants. Sorry I can't give any more scientific evidence than that.

And from what I had read on a justcommodores forum about programming your own memcal, I judged that it would cost about $80 to get an eeprom burner, and many hours to learn how to use the freeware program, and start to play around with the program and test it in the car. So for a difference of $60 and (I imagine) many hours of my time, I thought I'd rather buy a memcal that had already been programmed by someone who seemed to know what they were doing and had other people who seemed happy with the product. If I had the time, I'd love to play around with programming memcals, but until I get some extractors for the car, I can't see a lot of point.

Anyhow, that's my story. Wish I did have dyno charts of before and after, but like I said, I'm not that cashed up or that serious at the moment...
 

Cheers,

Sneezy
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

sneezy19752
Learner


simp033

9 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  11:33:36 PM  Show Profile Send sneezy19752 a Private Message
 
Oh, a few things I forgot to mention...
Most noticeable gains with this chip in my car were at about 30% open throttle. That is, the car is much more lively on acceleration at partial throttle, so I don't have to put my foot down as much to accelerate at the same rate, than I used to. The top end power 'seems' to have got better over time (use) since I installed the chip many months ago. The seller mentioned that they are a learning chip, so I imagine they start off conservatively, and then push their limits according to feedback from the oxy sensor and knock sensor.

And also, I was stupid enough to buy one of those supposed "mod chip" packs from a seller on ebay who, admittedly, did state in the advert that it simply consisted of a resistor to put in series with the air temp sensor, and detailed instructions. I'm glad I didn't fit it though, having read what others have said about the adverse effect on the exhaust system. I think this is what the seller (blackstar7000) was referring to in his ad, to beware of from other sellers...
 

Cheers,

Sneezy
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  8:53:03 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
quote:
Originally posted by sneezy19752

Oh, a few things I forgot to mention...
Most noticeable gains with this chip in my car were at about 30% open throttle. That is, the car is much more lively on acceleration at partial throttle, so I don't have to put my foot down as much to accelerate at the same rate, than I used to. The top end power 'seems' to have got better over time (use) since I installed the chip many months ago. The seller mentioned that they are a learning chip, so I imagine they start off conservatively, and then push their limits according to feedback from the oxy sensor and knock sensor.

And also, I was stupid enough to buy one of those supposed "mod chip" packs from a seller on ebay who, admittedly, did state in the advert that it simply consisted of a resistor to put in series with the air temp sensor, and detailed instructions. I'm glad I didn't fit it though, having read what others have said about the adverse effect on the exhaust system. I think this is what the seller (blackstar7000) was referring to in his ad, to beware of from other sellers...



It can't be a 'learning' chip, the 1227808 Delco isn't powerful enough to 'learn' and re-write the chip on the fly, if you want to have 'on-the-fly' re-writing you'd need to upgrade to the ecu out of the VR that has the more grunty computer in it. Even then, I'm not sure that it's powerful enough to recalculate the fuel maps, spark tables and VE tables on the fly and use them.

The reason that it would feel more punchy at partial throttle openings is because they will have just advanced the timing by a couple of degrees, the bog standard V6 spark table has a fair bit of 'slack' in it, which is one reason why the engines will run for 400,000km before needing a rebuild.

As for the top end feeling a bit better now than when you first put the chip in, that could be because it's running a bit harder it's cleaning out any built up crud that was in there, that the standard tune couldn't burn out. The chip itself won't have changed at all.

All that said, it could be a complete placebo. People swear that their car goes faster if they lower it, they swear that it goes faster if they put a spoiler on it, and they will try to convince you that neons will give it an extra 5rwkw. It's entirely in their heads.

Hell...my car feels faster when I've got the Pod on there, but I know it's not going any faster, it sounds it though.
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

MILD50
Fully Licenced


armedforces-tankdriver

850 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  9:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit MILD50's Homepage Send MILD50 a Private Message
 
Remove the windshield- you'll feel like the cars flying...
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  1:49:01 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
Take the doors off too, that would help.

Just remember, if you take out the front windscreen, you need to take out the back one too...otherwise as soon as you hit cruising speed it will remove itself. Happened at Bathurst one year.
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

MILD50
Fully Licenced


armedforces-tankdriver

850 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  9:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MILD50's Homepage Send MILD50 a Private Message
 
So why waste time removing it if it will do a self propelled exit?
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

mouce
National Driver


smiley-evil

1525 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  10:44:46 PM  Show Profile Send mouce a Private Message
 
If you pull it out yourself, you can always put it back in if you feel like it. That and it's less likely to smash itself all over the front of the ford that you just left for dead
 

Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell - Peter Brock (1945-2006)
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

lolo
Fully Licenced


simp098

503 Posts

Male

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  8:09:22 PM  Show Profile Send lolo a Private Message
 
Screw it just gt a wolf 3d.....
 

Marcus Rogulic R.I.P (1980-2007)
"The Good Die Young"
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2025 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 5.64 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here
   
 


Currently 990 user(s) online
 
Copyright © 2005 - 2025 by: Greening Computer Services